The Science of Interior Design

April 21, 2017

The Science of Interior Design

Home decoration and design is all about self-expression and finding your style. This might make the idea of home design “rules” sound contradictory. All the same, writers follow the rules of grammar, musicians follow the rules of music theory, and painters follow the rules of many tried-and-true techniques. Similarly, when it comes time to decorate your home, you may find that following a few rules of interior design could actually enrich your style rather than limiting it. Here are a few guidelines that you may wish to take into consideration.  

 

  • Artwork Height. Many people make the mistake of putting artwork too high in an effort to match eye levels. In reality, it is oftentimes better to avoid putting the bottom frames of your artwork more than eight inches above the dominant furniture. This prevents gaping spaces from stealing all the attention.  
  • The 60/40 Bookshelf Rule. Wondering how to tread the thin line between casual and chaotic when it comes to book layout? Experts recommend placing roughly 60 percent of books in an upright and orderly manner -- with the other 40 percent leaning diagonally, sitting on their sides, etc.  
  • Mirror Placement. Keeping your mirrors opposite any natural light sources helps create a more balanced (not to mention well-lit) atmosphere.  
  • The 60/30/10 Color Rule. Creating an interesting yet consistent color scheme isn’t always easy -- but this rule can be a big help. Aim to create a dominant color (occupying roughly 60% of space), a secondary color (occupying 30 percent), and an accent color (taking up the last 10%) 
  • Coffee Table Sizing. Finding the perfect coffee table to pair with your sofa can be challenging -- but knowing the guideline that coffee tables should be roughly 2/3rds the size of the table that they are paired with can help! 

 

Looking for a new accent piece to change the look of your room? Visit Recliners.LA today for a wide selection of furniture of all shapes, sizes, and designs!